Saturday, January 17, 2009

winter baked cherry tomatoes

While tomato season may be finished, cherry tomatoes are showing up on the grocers shelves here. Obvious use for them would be in salads etc. but being that it has been pretty cold outside I like warm stuff to fill my belly. I thought to mix my love of tomatoes with the love of warmth and made as a side dish, to this weeks leftovers, 'baked cherry tomatoes' The lovely ruby red color that the tomatoes turn will entice you. Best is that it is easy easy easy yet sooooooo tasty, I found myself licking my fingers after each bite. ( I bet it would go nice with couscous)

Ingredients:
red cherry tomatoes
red onion sliced thin
olive oil (you can used a flavored oil like garlic and chili)
spring onions around 2
basil leaves finely chopped
crushed garlic at least 2 cloves
splash of balsamic vinegar
splash of white wine
salt, pepper, hot chili flakes to taste

Prepare
Preheat oven to 350f which is 200c
toss tomatoes, red onions, oil, and salt, pepper and if you like a touch of heat some chili flakes.
place in baking pan and bake for 10-15 minutes.
Mix in spring onions, basil, garlic, wine and vinegar.
Continue cooking for about 5-10 minutes longer until the tomatoes have softened but keep their shape.
Dig In with some crusty bread and cheese of your choice!

No comments: