Saturday, December 13, 2008

winter and fruits

I was daydreaming of snow and chestnuts roasting, Yolanda's fruitcakes etc. when suddenly I was woken up by the sound of the waves crashing into our garden wall. Winter in Rhode Island is what I miss the most being here in Cyprus. We try to simulate it inside anyway we can but it never quite makes it. So I thought this year I will do it I will bring the feeling of RI winter into our home, but where to start? As I looked about the kitchen I realized it is not decorations that I need but the smell of cooking, that is when I noticed that Moncef, as usual, bought just too many dried figs, and dates, last time out and I can see a fresh pineapple dying to be cut open. That is when I thought of fruit cakes or slices? Hmm never made either but why not try maybe that is what is missing from my RI memories of winter. Went to the internet and found a recipe, which I changed a bit to suit my tastes, it is cooking now, and the smell is almost there it is almost winter, at home cooking and eating in RI...
Fruit and Nut Slice
equal amounts of (or more of what you like best) : walnuts, hazelnuts, almonds, chestnuts (cooked), raisins, figs, dates, pineapple ( I used fresh,not sure if it will work in this recipe) , glace cherries (didn't have any but would be nice if I did) and any other dried fruit you may like...
1 cup of whole wheat flour (for around 4 oz. of each above)
2 teaspoons of mixed spices (cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg)
1/2 teaspoon of baking powder
5 oz. of brown sugar (muscovado)
3 eggs
vanilla extract, orange zest, flavored liqueur

Preheat oven to 300F
Line a loaf pan with baking paper.
Using your hands (this is the best part) combine nuts and fruits in a large bowl. Sift over the flour, spices and baking powder, then stir in the sugar until all is well combined.
Whisk eggs with either/or vanilla, orange zest, flavoured liquer and add to the dry mix, again stir until all is combined.
It looks weird but it is fine if you have just enough flour and sugar to cover the fruits, your not making a cake but a nut and fruit slice.
Spoon mix into prepared pan and smooth the top. Bake for around 1 hour 30 min.
Cool for around 15 minutes or so, then turn out to rack to cool completely.
Dust the top thickly with icing sugar and cut into thin slices ...maybe even drizzle some chocolate??? and serve and enjoy with a port wine I would think!

No comments: