Friday, December 12, 2008

TO MUCH RICOTTA

Moncef (my spoon) decided to buy his favorite cheese, Ricotta, but as usual he bought enough for a family of 5 so now what to do with all this Ricotta? The usual would of course be canoli and lasagna. But, being that I recently was thinking of dough-boys, the kind that my dad would make on a Sunday morning, moist inside crunchy outside, sometimes with cheese and/or bacon fillings. Umm, now the Ricotta here is quite hard compared to what we have in the states, so I thought it could be a great filling why not? But problem one I don't have pizza dough and I want it now! So, what about Ricotta Beignets/ donuts? Searched for some recipes and taking a little from here and a little from there I came up with this and it was just so sweet and comforting on this cool December morning, even Nuba our cat loved it! But I must say it was not as light as my dad's dough-boys, so if you like a lighter touch it would be worth the wait to make the bread dough then use the filling of ricotta and spices. Any hoot Here is the recipe, I hope you enjoy it as much as I did along with my Suddhata coffee!

Ricotta Beignets/donuts

Vegetable oil for deep frying (italians like to use olive oil)
4-6 eggs (depending on size)
1/2 cup of brown sugar
1 pound of hard ricotta cheese
2 cups of wheat flour
1 heaping tablespoon of baking powder
1 tablespoon of either: vanilla, orange peel, lemon peel, flavored liquor, (my spoon loves cinnamon so I used cinnamon and orange peel, and it was so very nice.
P.S. I think if it was for lunch I would make them spicy with coriander seeds and hot pepper seeds ... something like that)

In a deep saucepan heat the oil to about 350F

Mix the ingredients together in a bowl until the batter is smooth
using your hand (or a spoon) scoop a small amount and press it into a disk and put into hot oil. turn over to fry evenly on all sides.
drain and while still hot add powdered sugar, honey, granulated sugar ... what ever you like
Eat immediately!

No comments: